A durable, high-quality laptop or tablet is the most significant piece of equipment that a digital nomad can own, hence, why you need to do your due diligence and research what product is going to give you the best bang for your buck.
When on the hunt for a new laptop or tablet, there are a few features every remote worker should be looking for:
- Lightweight – If you’re always on the road, you won’t want to be lugging around a bulky, heavy device.
- Reliable – This is how you earn a living, whatever you choose must be able to hold up to the workload you have and not leave you scrambling for a connection.
- Durable – Frequent travelers know that it can be a rough sometimes, your new device should be able to take a few accidental knocks.
We’ve compiled a list of the best laptops and tablets on the market that can handle your vagabond lifestyle.
The Best Lightweight Netbook for Most Remote Workers: MacBook Air 13”
- Cost: US$1,099.00
- Portability: 2.5 lbs
- Battery Life: 10-hour battery
- Storage Space: 128GB SSD
- Processing Power: 1.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 Processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz)
The MacBook Air 13” is a triple threat with its lasting battery, lightweight body, and reliable programming. Apple has created a product that is compact and portable but hasn’t cut any software corners to do so. It’s revered by digital nomads all over the globe and can handle any work you challenge it with.
The Best Budget Lightweight Netbook: Asus Zenbook 13.3”
- Cost: US$799.99
- Portability: 2.6 lbs
- Battery Life: 12-hour battery
- Storage Space: 8 GB DDR3 RAM with 256 GB SSD
- Processing Power: Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5 GHz Processor
For any travelers on a budget, the Asus Zenbook will be able to provide you the same basic features as the MacBook Air and will save you a few hundred dollars at the same time. It’s also a great option if you’re not a fan of the Macintosh OS operating system as it comes preinstalled with Windows 10. The Zenbook has an impressive 12-hour battery life and is only 0.1 lbs heavier than the MacBook, so you’ll be getting great value for your money if you choose this option.
The Best Lightweight Tablet (and Laptop Case) For Most Remote Workers: Microsoft Surface Go
- Cost: US$489.00
- Portability: 1.15 lbs, plus type cover
- Battery Life: 9-hour battery
- Storage Space: 64 or 128GB, plus micro-SD slot
- Processing Power: Intel Pentium Gold
Are you chasing a product that can easily accommodate your work and personal life? Then the best choice for you is the Microsoft Surface Go. This tablet has all the capabilities of a laptop, giving you a 2-in-1 deal for half the price. Highly commended for its compatibility with the nomad’s lifestyle, the Surface Go will provide you with the flexibility to work away from the office. To increase efficiency, we highly recommend purchasing the keyboard and stylus as well.
The Best Budget Tablet for Remote Workers: Amazon Fire HD 8
- Cost: US$79.99
- Portability: 0.8 lbs
- Battery Life: 10-hour battery
- Storage Space: 16GB or 32GB, plus micro-SD slot
- Processing Power: Quad-core 1.3GHz
The Amazon Fire HD 8 comes in at under $100, making it the most affordable option for any remote worker. To make it a viable device, we do suggest purchasing the compatible keyboard and utilizing the micro-SD slot. A stylus can also be purchased for added dexterity. If you’re on a tight budget, the Fire tablet will help you complete essential tasks and won’t break the bank.
The Bottom Line
In the end, you’ll need to evaluate your needs to choose the best device for your situation. While the MacBook Air is the best lightweight netbook for travelers, it is expensive and might not fall within your budget. For more information on the top laptops and tablets, we recommend checking out the following articles: